Saturday 6 November 2010

The Lost Boy

Hi! Nat here ^_^

Long time no see and all that, it's been really busy here at Furry Towers XD Our girls are doing just fine although Bella has a bit of a cold so we're taking her to the vet on Monday for a good thorough check up. The others are all gorwing up, mock humping each other all over the bathroom at playtime and digging in a sand filled box for treats.

Anyways, I don't suppose you're ready for a month old story? It involves me, Seth and a new little boy I picked up from the pet store.

So, it was a mild Saturday almost 4 weeks ago when Seth suggested we go and get some supplies for the girls (before we knew about The Range and it's excellent discounted stuff and before we'd ordered some things online. The girls have some really awesome toys now but I digress). We went to the pet store where Seth started patrolling through the aisles umming and erring about some of the toys and what we would need. Of course after about 5 minutes I was bored (being me) and wandered over to take a look at the ratties in the cages on the wall.

Well, the little boy that had been in there since we'd got the girls almost a month before was sitting up and looking at me. Dumbo eared, agouti hooded, he looked just like my Florin and as soon as he saw that someone was interested, he came straight over to say hello.

Eventually, Seth came to see just what was so interesting and the little boy faloomphed straight across his tiny cage to see so Seth put out his hand to the glass. The boy obviously found this interest really exciting and did a sort of cute mini back flip behind his little house thing, eyes a boggling.

It was heart breaking to see such a lovely rat in a cage so small with nothing to do, under all that hot lighting with only nuggets to feast on but we managed to get out of the shop without another furry bundle stashed on our lap.

Well, we got home after a run round to the other pet store and I watches as Seth cleaned out a new travel cage for the girls. The thought of this poor boy kept cropping into my head, how he'd been there for ages and was probably going to be sent back to the feeder breeder before long and it made me really quite miserable.

Now, I know you shouldn't really purchase pets from pet store chains like that to boycot them for better conditions and whatnot but it was the individual rat that persuaded me to go back and get him. I know it was a little crazy considering out space restraints and stuff but I don't regret doing it. We got him by himself with the intention of getting him a friend a little later (as he was housed by himself at the store) and I play with him everyday before work and when I come home. He really is a loving rat and so much happier now he's out in an interesting cage with people that love him and get him out at least twice a day for scritchings and treats.

This is Peter, our boy. Ain't he the cutest thing? Looks just like Florin and Pippin, in fact, they could be related (I did check just in case). He's loiving and caring but recently we found out he's actually really rat phobic. He seems to like people much more than rats and he never bites or scratches. When we got him home, he was straight out of the cage running around and climbing all over us, bold as brass, as though he had been handled for years. This rat is a natural pet and a great companion at 6a.m XD

So now the lost boy has found himself a loving home, how will he get on with trying to get used to his friend? We'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment